introducing: Miss E.P. Lubowski
Ain't she sweet? It's Eva (formerly Petunia) Petunia Lubowski. She doesn't know her name given to her by shelter staff, so we thought we'd start her out with something easy to say and for her to recognize (we'll start with Eva, and later add the gratuitous surnames and inevitable nicknames.)
As told to us by shelter staff, she may have been a stray, but she had been in a no-kill shelter for months where I think most of her history had been lost. In May she was transferred to the Clatsop County shelter where she was running out of time. Since Garrett only likes boxers, and I only like animals, we lucked out that Miss Petunia was featured on the lovely petfinder.org which I can't rave enough about. This website is a great example of using the internet & current technology for the greater good. Kind of like myspace.

Every aspect of this adoption was an obstacle and subsequently, a blessing. We found her while doing a search for female boxers on Friday. I sent an e-mail Friday night to the shelter inquiring about whether or not she had yet found a home. Saturday morning at 8am I received a reply - the shelter was open between 12 - 4 Mon - Sat in Warrenton, Oregon. They do not normally do same-day adoptions, but if we could bring photos of the house & yard along with the application & adoption fee, then they would consider it.
Did I mention we were burgled on Thursday morning of last week? All of our illusions of perfection within Columbia City were shattered. Suffice to say that we did not have access to any digital pictures of the home or yard, and I had to run around that morning shooting pictures with a camera phone, formatting, printing and we ended up leaving the house just before noon. It's a 3.5 hour drive according to google maps, and unfortunately, that doesn't account for speed limits, traffic, or getting lost.
The staff stayed late and met us with Petunia at 4:30pm, where we watched her leap and run around and maul Tino, who cowered in the corner. We weren't sure whether or not we could handle her, and I had to call Scott (a homosexual, also our landlord and Tino's owner) to inform him of her apparent lack of training and behavioral issues. I tried to gauge his reaction to figure out whether or not bringing her back would give us an early eviction notice, but he left it pretty vague and so I told Garrett to choose.
He chose her! We drove back to Seattle and Garrett sat in the back with Petunia for almost four hours where they alternately slept, cuddled and played, and he secured his spot as favorite. Aside from her noxious farts, she was a dream in the car! It turns out that these shelter dogs are left in their pens all day, and only taken out if walked, and only walked if volunteers show up, and volunteers only show up when the weather is nice. The poor girl was crated since we don't know when, and so she was justifiably wild.
Anyway, today is day one with our new Eva. Since I'm stuck at work on a Sunday and wanted to tell everyone about her, I figured I would jump on the blog bandwagon a few years too late and save myself a set of mass emails. Also, I have no children.
Garrett says 'hi'
-tanya


No comments:
Post a Comment