Monday, June 16, 2008

Happy Father's Day, Garrett!



Technically, that was yesterday, but I didn't get a chance to get online to post this adorable picture of Naomi resting on her daddy's shoulder. It's 1:54am and we're at Seattle Children's Hospital - we've been here since Tuesday of last week. Naomi was running a high fever, so we went into Children's ER, and they admitted her immediately. They took blood, urine and spinal fluid in to be cultured because they knew she was dealing with an infection. This was especially concerning to me because I contracted MRSA at Group Health when I got my c-section, and we've been terrified of her becoming sick from it in any way. She's been on IV antibiotics to treat what turned out to be a pretty bad UTI and kidney infection (she is also colonized with MRSA). Naomi had a renal ultrasound that showed us that she has a birth defect of the left kidney called a duplex collecting system. Her left kidney has two ureters going into the bladder, rather than one, and neither work correctly, so she's grown a large abscess. She will eventually require corrective surgery once she's a little older, but for now she'll stay on daily antibiotics and a minor surgery may be needed to help drain the abscess before we leave the hospital.

Naomi has been receiving such wonderful care here at Children's. I am so grateful that they caught this problem so quickly, and have allowed Garrett and I to be involved in the decision-making with her care. We'll find out later this morning after her follow-up ultrasound and consultation with a pediatric Infection Disease doc whether she'll need surgery now, continuing care at home with IV antibiotics, and/or an extended hospital stay. I'll keep you posted.

Love,
Tanya

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Naomi is the most beautiful baby we've ever seen. We cannot wait to hold her and kiss her and sing her 'her' song (Garrett knows what that means!) We're so proud of how Tanya and Garrett are taking care of this precious one, and we're confident everything will work out fine. We love you all,
Mommy and Daddy a.k.a. Grandma and Grandpa